1. Quinoa is a whole grain that contains 5 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein per half cup. It also contains a balanced set of amino acids making it a complete protein source. You cook it like you would rice or other grains and can eat it with shrimp, vegetables, chicken or any way you would enjoy eating rice. Make sure to rinse it properly first unless the package you purchased states it has been pre-rinsed.
2. Almonds taste great and contain protein and fiber to help keep you feeling full. They are also great for regulating your blood sugar levels which will help keep you from craving goodies throughout the day. If you watch Dr. Oz he has mentioned on his show to eat almonds when you can because they are good for your body. They contain vitamin E and B vitamins and can help your complexion. If you feel the need for small snack reach for these instead of processed, sugary alternatives.
3. Eggs are a great source of protein in your diet. If you eat eggs for breakfast, you are less likely to snack before lunch. They will help you feel more full and satisfied. They are also easy to cook and you can eat them in a variety of ways, scrambled, sunny side up, hard boiled and many other ways.
4. Apples are a great fruit to eat when you have a candy craving. They are a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C. Many are sweet, some are more tart, but they all help you to feel full and keep you on track with your healthy diet. We've all heard the phrase "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Eating an apple a day may not keep you from the doctor, but it will do wonders for your body especially if you are working out and trying to slim down.
5. Berries are another great source of fiber. They also help to keep you feeling full and get through any candy cravings. They contain antioxidants which help improve blood flow which in turn will help muscles contract more efficiently. And they also taste great.
If you are working out to slim down and build muscle, remember to add these 5 power foods to your diet. They will help you keep on track and help you see the results you are hoping for by summer. Plus they taste great and will help keep you healthy. Good luck on your exercise routines and your healthy eating plans!
Pictures courtesy of Pinterest.