Saturday, June 23, 2012

HLNB Summer Challenge - Day 22

June 22nd Day 22: 
Exercise:
Yesterday I walked 3.5 miles and watered my garden.  I also did some house cleaning and got some exercise running around the house and up and down the stairs.  Wow, it's so hot out now that summer is here.  I love it!

Just for fun:
   Did you catch Duran Duran on Good Morning America last Monday? Well don't worry, if you missed it, I'm attaching a video of them singing "Reach Up For the Sunrise"!  And there's a portion of their interview too. They were great, can't wait for the next tour and the DVD!







Note: You can turn off my blog music with the iPod player on the right hand side before watching the video. 










Food:
      I ate the fruit and yogurt parfait for breakfast (Breakfast Jewel Parfait from Julie Anne Rhodes website), a tuna sandwich and shrimp tacos.  I also drank 100% fruit juices with all three meals and drank some Peach Green Tea and 8 oz of green smoothies.  I've also added some Stevia leaves to my smoothies.  I've started growing the Stevia plants this summer.  I really like the sweet taste, I like that they are natural and I also like that they won't give us cavities!






                             
                                                          Photos courtesy of Pinterest.  Video courtesy of Mediaite.



Items to note:
       See my contact information on the tabs above if you want to send me an email with any questions or suggestions.  With my "HLNB Challenge" I'm logging my daily activities of how I keep moving.  I'm not offering any medical advice or making any guarantees.  This is meant for fun and if you want to follow along I hope it will be fun and encouraging  for you too.  I'm also not logging everything I'm eating, only listing the healthier items. I'm trying to convert my family's food choices to more healthy options and fresh foods selections as well.  On days I'm listing more it means I'm replacing less healthy foods with healthier choices.  This is one of my personal healthy living goals. One day when I look back, I hope to see improvements on my activities and on my eating habits. Thanks for following along in the journey.



21 comments:

Student Mommy said...

WHAT is Stevia??? I'm told to replace sugar with Stevia... But what is it?
In from SITS.

Anna Hettick said...

Happy SITS Day!

Kathy Penney said...

That is so wonderful that you are making a conscious effort to make healthier choices in all aspects of your life. I know that is something I personally can use a lot of improvement on! Kathy Penney @ Pinner Takes All

GrowingTween said...

Ooh! What a great idea- now I have to figure out how to grow my own Stevia...do you have a post on that? visiting from SITS

Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel said...

Happy SITS Day! I used to love Duran Duran - glad you posted the clip - it was fun to watch!

The Real Mom said...

Oh My Gosh! I LOVED Duran Duran when I was a teen. My mad crush was on John Taylor. Wow, what a flashback. I hope they are still doing well. Happy SITS day!

The Real Mom said...

Oh My Gosh! I LOVED Duran Duran when I was a teen. My mad crush was on John Taylor. Wow, what a flashback. I hope they are still doing well. Happy SITS day!

Lisa said...

Oh my, I LOVE Duran Duran.

Tiffany said...

Very inspiring! I was doing so great at working out and eating well until our littlest came along and now I have so little time. Your blog is a wonderful reminder of how important a healthy lifestyle is.

OneMommy said...

Happy SITS day!

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Student Mommy,

Stevia is an herb plant that looks kind of like mint leaves. If you pick a leaf off the plant and eat it, it is actually very sweet tasting. It's much healthier for you than processed granular sugar. They do make some Stevia granules too which are made from this plant. It is supposed to be better for you than sugar. I actually like it from the plant. I bought mine at my grocery store to plant this spring. I have to buy them each year because in winter it gets too cold for them. But if you grow a few plants you can let it dry and crunch it up, and use it in your recipes. You can blend it into a more fine powder to use in baking recipes.

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Anna,

Thanks! I had a wonderful time.


Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Kathy,

It has been a fun journey trying to become more healthy. There are always so many temptations and I haven't completely cut out my bad habits of sugar and cheese. I did get caffeine out of my diet, but I'm still a work in progress.

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Growing Tween,

I bought my plants at my local grocery store in spring and planted them in my herb garden. I think you can find them at flower garden stores too. I'm sure Home Depot sells them in spring too with all their other plants. You have to buy them each year because in winter the ground gets too cold for their roots. If you have extra in fall pull off all the leaves and let them dry out. You can save them and blend them into a powdery form for baking in winter. Hope that helps!

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Busy Mom of Twins,

I loved them too and still do. I got to see their concert last year and they still sound great. I can't wait for the next time they come around on tour!

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Jean,

I loved them as a teen too. My crush was also John Taylor. I also like Simon too. I saw them last year in concert and they are so great. I have a few posts that have Duran Duran references! You'll have to check some of them out when you have time. If you like cooking Nick Rhodes ex wife Julie Anne has a great blog that I follow. She's a personal chef and has great, easy to make recipes on her site. And she shares some great stories and pictures from her time with Nick. It is fun and brings back wonderful memories.

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi 2Busy,

I love them too! You'll have to check out some of my past posts. I make references to them every once in awhile. I have some of their songs on my blog here for us fans.

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Tiffany,

You are so right. It's very important for our well being and good for our families too. If you do get more time, join our 30 day challenges. I try to make them fun and not rigid or strict. In winter I ride my stationary bike while watching Dancing With The Stars. Exercising can be fun and we can squeeze it in whenever we can.

Michelle

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi One Mommy,

Thanks! I had such a wonderful day!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love duran duran! after I was done getting distracted by them, I had time to enjoy this post! Growing Stevia myself - the thought never crossed my mind until now!

Healthy Living Natural Beauty - Michelle said...

Hi Ilene,

So glad you enjoyed the post, I love Duran Duran too!

This is the first year I've grown it myself. You really get a good crop when you grow it yourself. I'm going to dry it out at the end of the season and use it for baking in the winter.

Thanks for stopping by!
Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...