Friday, January 28, 2011

How to Properly Clean Your Make Up Brushes

     We all know that cosmetic brushes can be costly.  So it’s important to clean them on a regular basis and make them last as long as possible.  It's also important to keep them clean so your face will remain as clean as possible.  If you don't cleanse your brushes regularly you can spread unwanted bacteria to your face which could cause your face to break out.  And if your brushes gather layers of blush, eye shadows and powders it will change the way your make up appears on your face. 
     I usually cleanse my make up brushes every Sunday. That way I have a routine and I know they will always be clean since I am using them almost every day.  If you use a chemical cleaning agent on your brushes, those chemicals will be transferred to your face the next time you use them. So if you have a natural cleanser for your face or hair then you will want to use these same products to clean your brushes.  I use my "Burt's Bee's Orange Essence Facial Cleanser" to clean my brushes.  First, I like to use an antibacterial cleaner not only to kill bacteria, but to moisten the bristles.  I fill a small cup with vinegar (an excellent antibacterial cleanser) just enough to cover only the bristles of my brushes.  You want to make sure not to wet any of the metal part of your brushes since that contains the glue that holds the bristles in place.  I swirl the brushes around until I see the cosmetics coming off the bristles. Then, I rinse the cup and fill with Witch Hazel ("Dickinson's" a great natural astringent) and repeat the same process, making sure not to wet the metal part of my brushes.  Next, I place a small amount of the facial cleanser in the palm of my hand and swirl my brushes in the cleanser.  As I'm swirling the brushes I'm seeing more of the cosmetics coming out of the bristles.  After, I rinse the brushes under warm water until the bristles run clear.  I gently squeeze the bristles to get excess water out (without twisting or tugging) and then place the brushes with the bristles pointing down and the handles lifted by a small towel so any excess water will run down away from the handles of my brushes.  By the next morning my brushes will be dry and ready to use.  Once they are completely dry, I swirl them around my palm to get them back into their original, fluffy shape.
     Some people use rubbing alcohol to clean their brushes, however, this will wear out the bristles quicker and can also dry them out.  Although rubbing alcohol will kill germs, it also kills good germs.  There are some germs that we do not want to remove because they actually serve a purpose and are necessary for us to remain healthy.  The natural Witch Hazel made by "Dickinson's" contains a natural alcohol made from organic sources and isn't the same as using rubbing alcohol.  If your brushes bristles are getting dried out, you can add a step of putting a natural conditioner on the bristles after you clean them and before you rinse them off with water.  If this is done on a weekly basis, your brushes can last a long time and your skin can be clean and healthy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...